New Community Article: GDI Performance

We’ve published a new article on the OpenNETCF Community Site titled “Native vs. Managed Code: GDI Performance

In it, I look at the performance differences between native and managed code making GDI calls.

In case you missed them, our other recently published articles include:

• Performance Implications of Crossing the P/Invoke Boundary
  • An Introduction to WCF for Device Developers
  • Getting a Millisecond-Resolution DateTime under Windows CE
  • Using GDI+ on Windows Mobile
  • Sharing Windows Mobile Ink with the Desktop
  • OpenNETCF Mobile Ink Library for Windows Mobile 6
  • Improving Data Access Performance with Data Caching
  • Developing Connected Smart Device Applications with SqlClient
  • Debugging Without ActiveSync
  • Image Manipulation in Windows Mobile 5.0
  • Don’t Fear the Garbage Collector

All of our articles are available online at:
http://blog.opennetcf.com/archives/

CleanSweep update

After receiving a 16MB zip file of a native solution from a customer today, I’ve updated CleanSweep to clean out a lot of the crap created by the native build process (the last version was mostly for managed code).

I’ve also added very, very basic command-line support.  Right now if you provide no command line, it will clean the directory it is run from.  If you want to clean another folder, you pass the full path to the foilder to clean as the command line.

October Coding Competiton: Got Game?

So we’ve announced this month’s coding competiton theme (get your keyboards fired up).

Last month’s competiton didn’t have quite the effect we wanted: we only got one submission.  Still if you consider that the goal of the competition is to get cool code out to the developer community as a whole, then the FlowFx submission alone made the competition a success.  But still, we’d like to see a bit more diverse set of entries.  In an attempt to improve things this month we’re offering prizes for multiple places (first, second and 3 runners-up) so that no one will get discouraged and abandon all hope if they see some crazy-cool submission early in the month (like I suspect happened with FlowFx).

Any other thoughts on how we can make the competition more successful (short of giving away an X-Box 360, a copy of Halo 3 and a 60″ plasma TV to play it on – that’s just not in our budget)?