IIS is a robust web server. I’d never try to argue that it isn’t or that Padarn could in any way try to replace it. There are instances, however, where IIS just isn’t a very good fit, and Padarn really is. Some examples might be:
- You want a simple web-based configuration interface for an embedded device
- You want to expose REST APIs from your device in a small footprint
- You want to expose data from your device but don’t want users to have to fight configuring IIS
- You actually have a size limitation and IIS makes it tough to achieve
- You’d like your WebRequests to not all be in their own AppDomain
- You’d like to share code assets between Windows CE and Embedded Standard/XPe
Padarn fits all of these scenarios well, and we continue to improve both performance and feature sets.
We just published a set of evaluation binaries compatible with desktop OSes (XP, Vista and Windows 7). Make sure you’re registered and logged in to see the downloads.